This article will provide instructions on how to create and restore data snapshots in HCP vault.
Creating snapshots with HCP Vault can be done by following the learn guide here.
- This action may only be performed by a user with the Owner/Admin/Contributor role.
- Standard tier clusters: HashiCorp performs automated daily snapshots, with the option for a customer-initiated on demand snapshot.
- Development tier clusters: HashiCorp performs automated snapshots at a much lower frequency, and the customer-initiated on demand snapshot option is not available.
- All snapshots have a 30 day retention period.
- Snapshots are currently only manageable through the HCP UI.
- Restores are currently only possible within the same cluster instance and not between 2 separate clusters.
How-to create a snapshot
- Click on your Vault cluster in the HCP portal.
- Click Snapshots in the left navigation menu and then the blue create snapshot button.
- Provide a name for your snapshot and click Create snapshot.
- Once the snapshot is completed, you will see a Stored status with a green checkmark.
How-to restore a snapshot
- Click on the ellipsis (…) for the snapshot and click restore.
- Type restore into the prompt and click Restore snapshot.
- You will receive a notification the snapshot is restoring.
How-to delete a snapshot
- Click on the ellipsis (…) for the snapshot and click delete.
- Type in “DELETE” or “Delete” depending on which prompt you receive. Please make sure to enter the phrase exactly as prompted as it is case sensitive.